Tuesday, October 03, 2006

 

80 years ago

80 years ago

I lived in the city, Thiruvanathapuram, the capital of erstwhile Travancore State, now a part of Kerala. We attended a girl’s school quite far from our residence. In the morning we used to go by jutka, a horse drawn carriage. In the evening we walked carrying our books. It was not like the present day,,when students have to carry a heavy load when they go to school. Travancore state was ruled by a Maharaja with the help of the dewan (prime minister). It was not directly under the British rule. There was a British resident posted to the state.

The money that was used then was called the sarkar rupee. 16 kaash made one chakram, 4 chakram, made 1 panam and 7 panams made a rupee.The rupee and panam were made of silver and chakram and kaassh of copper We also had British rupee. That was valued at 28 ½ chakram. We did a lot of Arithmetic sums changing sarkar rupee to British rupee and paisas and vice versa. As you can imagine, that was not easy,.It was tough!!!!Later the monetary system was changed to rupees, annas and paisas.


Comments:
What a long name of your city to learn to spell- Thiruvanathapuram.
Must have been hard to learn to spell it when just a child. I tried to find it on my old map of India, but my map is too small to show enough.
You taught me a new word- jutka for a horse drawn carriage in your country.
I had heard of rupees when I was doing crossword puzzles, but none of the others of your moneys. I didn`t know there were more than one type of rupee. Now, I wonder how your money compares to our US coins and Dollars. How manyrupees makes our Dollar, or how many of our Dollars does it take to make 1 rupee. I know so little about the money value of the coins you mentioned.
I also walked to school carrying books in the lower grades, but we had even more books to carry once we entered high School (grades 9 thru 12). We only had co-ed schools where both boys and girls attended together.
Your writing is very interesting. I do enjoy reading it.
 
dot, unlike in my grandmom's time (btw i am chandy's granddaughter) we dont have any of the currencies mentioned in her post other than rupee (i.e. chakram, panam etc) anymore. Now we have only rupees and paises. 100 paises make a rupee. simple enough. perhaps that explains why our generation mental mathematics is much much worse than her generation maths!

mummy, i love your blogs....wish appachen also had a chance to record some of his past life, so that it would have been saved for posterity.
 
Thank you Chandy`s granddaughter. I went on the net and found a place where it shows about changing Rupees to US Dollars and also changing our Dollars into your Rupees. With you telling me there are 100 paises in one rupees I am able to learn even more.
Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. It was very nice of you.
 
That was a lovely recollection.Continue to give us more information about life 80 yrs back.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?